Friday, June 3, 2011

Happy, sad and all that stuff in between

Today was the last day of school here.  Reece, my oldest and most sensitive kid, came home crying.  Aidan couldn't care less.  Emma was a little melancholy about the fact that she is moving from her pre-school/kindergarten to the elementary school.  Otherwise she was fine.  I was fine until Emma started reciting the litany of things she would never do again.  She was saying she would never play in that gym again, never play on that playground again, never go to that library again, never eat lunch in that lunchroom again, etc.  It got me feeling a little weepy.  Our kids have been going to JELV for 5 years now.  My baby Emma was the last one to go.  Now she is going to be a big kid going to first grade at the elementary school.  I started reciting the litany of things I would never do again.  I would never get to walk her into that school and see the lines of little tiny people singing songs about colors as they walked to lunch.  I would never go hide Easter eggs for class.  I would never get another shaving cream painting, turkey made from a footprint, jar of reindeer food.  I would never get to see a whole class sit "criss cross applesauce" for story time on the story rug.  No more walking her to the bus and giving her a big hug, having her cling to my legs for a good 30 seconds.  Everyone is growing up...


No comments:

Post a Comment